SEO Best Practices to Follow in 2020
There was a time when if you consistently produced SEO-focussed content, you had a good chance of ranking on search engine results pages (SERP). However, the same cannot be said for 2020. The SEO landscape has changed. Search engines like Google are constantly updating their algorithm to improve user experience and penalize websites that are trying to manipulate the system.
Experts at our web development and SEO company have rounded up some the SEO best practices that will help your business leverage the power of digital marketing:
● Create SEO-friendly title tags, meta description and header tags: Title tags meta descriptions and header tags demonstrate to searchers what they are looking for. It is, therefore, important that you use them in a way that improves the chances of your ranking. While it is important to create catchy headlines, it is equally important to create title tags with keywords so that it is aligned with the search intent. Meta descriptions are the snippet that shows up in the search results with the title tags and, therefore, it is important that content is enticing and uses the right keywords. Use a heading (H1 tag) to highlight the most important information on your page. Do not use too many H1 tags on one page. It is best to keep the header short and make sure it has the keyword.
● Improve your E-A-T: Ensuring that your content meets Google’s E-A-T guidelines can be beneficial. E-A-T stands for Expertise, Authoritativeness and Trustworthiness. This is important for sites that run news and gives advice on health, finance and law. By following E-A-T guidelines, you can make sure that the content that your audience is looking for is accurate and backed by reliable sources that the users can trust.
Here’re Google’s suggestions for High E-A-T pages –
● High E-A-T medical advice should be written or produced by people or organizations with appropriate medical expertise or accreditation. High E-A-T medical advice or information should be written or produced in a professional style and should be edited, reviewed, and updated on a regular basis.
● High E-A-T news articles should be produced with journalistic professionalism—they should contain factually accurate content presented in a way that helps users achieve a better understanding of events.
● High E-A-T news sources typically have published established editorial policies and robust review processes.
● High E-A-T information pages on scientific topics should be produced by people or organizations with appropriate scientific expertise and represent well-established scientific consensus on issues where such consensus exists.
● High E-A-T financial advice, legal advice, tax advice, etc., should come from trustworthy sources and be maintained and updated regularly.
● High E-A-T advice pages on topics such as home remodeling (which can cost thousands of dollars and impact your living situation) or advice on parenting issues (which can impact the future happiness of a family) should also come from “expert” or experienced sources that users can trust.
● High E-A-T pages on hobbies, such as photography or learning to play a guitar, also require expertise.
● Secure your site: By migrating from Http to Https, your business can boost its credibility factor. Since 2014, Google announced that it would be showing a preference for Https sites in search results. Https provides your users with a safe and secure browsing experience and is a lightweight Google ranking factor., you are likely to retain them. To know whether your website is secure or not, look at the URL, if there is a lock sign, then you are good to go. You can get an insight into your website speed by using Google’s Pagespeed Insights tool .
● Speed up your website: If your website is taking time to load, then you are losing visitors even before they see your services and products. This can adversely affect your potential conversions. From the site’s code and server load to image size, there can be a host of factors that could be affecting your website load speed. Some of the issues can be fixed easily while others may need extra technical support. Page speed is a ranking factor for desktop since 2010, and for mobile since 2018.
For your digital success, it is important that your website is SEO-optimised. As a web development and SEO company, we can help you create websites that can help you meet your digital goals. From the development of your website to managing your marketing activities, we are a one-stop-shop for all your digital marketing needs.