Backlinks are one of the top factors in Google’s organic ranking algorithm, it is, therefore, important to make link building an important part of your SEO strategy. Link building is getting links from external sites back to your website. Google uses these backlinks to evaluate your authority and relevance of your site for particular search terms.
To help you secure high-quality links, here are some things you should know:
- Why link building matters: The reasons to focus strongly on link building are: Your website will rank higher on Google and other search engines. It will become easy for Google to find new pages on your site easily. You will gain credibility as external links are often seen as a vote of confidence from other websites.
- Different types of links: A great link building strategy starts with understanding the different types of links and the value they add to your website. Contextual links — those placed in the body of a web page’s content instead of the footer or sidebar — and topical links —- links from websites and content that is closely related to your own site’s topic — hold value. At the same time, directory links are of little use to users and, thus, are considered low-value link.
- Outreach for links: In order to acquire backlinks from other websites, you cannot wait for them to find interesting content on your website. Proactively reaching out to other websites (other than competitors) bloggers, influencers and webmaster can help you gain explore opportunities for them to cover your content. When you reach out to other websites for link acquisition, it is important to understand their domain authority. There are several tools available in the market that can help you know the authority status of any domain or keyword.
- Use your connections with reporters to create backlinks: Press publication links are a great way to earn high-quality editorial links. Using your PR tactics, you can reach out to journalists to cover stories that are relevant to your brand and backlink to your website in their stories. Earning editorial links isn’t as easy as it sounds. You will have to create a pool of engaging content that you can pitch to the press.
- Do a backlink gap analysis: Wondering why competitors land with high-quality when you don’t? Well, there are many tools that can help you compare your backlink profiles with that of your competing websites. This will help you understand the gaps in your link building strategies. These tools also help you to find out which are the most linked-to pages, giving you valuable insights to shape up your SEO strategy.
While you are running a business, balancing efforts across multiple channels can be quite difficult. As a full-service digital marketing agency, our SEO experts can help you monitor page performance and develop an effective strategy. Hiring a digital marketing agency like ours will help you focus on your core business, while we take care of your digital marketing needs.