SEO has over recent years has become a significant revenue channel. The right applications of SEO techniques can help make progress with your marketing goals. SEO methods are constantly evolving due to search engines’ developments and consumer behaviour changes. However, when SEO techniques are implemented incorrectly it take some time to recover.
To make sure that you don’t make these mistakes, we share 8 common SEO mistakes
1. Ignoring HTTP status and server Issues: HTTP status codes are crucial to determine how your website is accessed by visitors and spiders. If there are technical issues with your website related to HTTP status, it is best to get them fixed at the earliest. Due to this problem, you may not only lose out on traffic but also damage your rankings on Google.
2. Not creating right title tags & meta descriptions: Title tags and meta descriptions tell search engines and users what your site is about. Therefore, it is important that you create the right title tags and meta descriptions using the relevant keywords. Optimised title tags and meta descriptions give your website the chance to maximise its impact in the SERPs by encourage users to click on the website. Ensure that you don’t create too many pages with same titles and descriptions — it will make it difficult for search engines to properly determine relevance and, thus, it will affect the rankings.
3. Not addressing crawling issues: If a website has crawling issues, some of the pages on the website might not be as accessible to Google. Crawlability is the foundation of your technical SEO strategy and thus you must get crawling issues resolved.
4. Indexability: Good indexability is crucial for SEO. if a page is not indexed, it won’t be seen by a search engine and, therefore, it won’t be seen by users. Duplicate meta data and content are some of the factors that can make it difficult for search engines to identify which pages to rank for certain similar search terms. Low word count, too short or too long title tags, and hreflang links are some of the factors that can affect the indexability of your site.
5. Ignoring internal and external link optimisation: Internal links direct the reader to a page within the website, whereas an external link directs the reader to a page on a different website. While internal links keep the users engaged on your website for longer, external links are seen as a vote of confidence by others. When other websites provide external links to your website or content you have posted, it boosts your site’s ranking.
6. Pages are not mobile friendly: Mobile-friendliness has become ranking criteria for both mobile and desktop for Google last year. To enhance your search performance make sure that your website complies with Google’s AMP guidelines.
7. Not evaluating site performance: Knowing how your website is performing helps you identify areas of improvement. There are many tools like Google Analytics that helps you with things like traffic, demographics and how much time the users spend on your website. Make use of these tools to continue to improve the web experience for your users.
8. Not updating your website: SEO is an evolving field and you must keep yourself abreast with all the latest happenings. Google keeps bringing out new updates and if you miss out on a major one, then your website rankings may suffer and you may lose out on valuable traffic.
Committing any of these SEO mistakes can hold your website back. As a full-service digital marketing agency, we can help you ensure that your website follows the best SEO practices.